[SEDXC] Tom's Situation

Dr. W. P. Scott wpscott@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:06:38 -0500

   I thought I would let you know the latest on Tom's situation.
I may not be able to give you a further update on his condition
until tonight (no earlier than 6PM and hopefully before 10PM).
It has been learned from the arteriogram which was done early
this morning (between 7/9AM) that Tom has an artery and a vein
which intersect in his cerebellum which is causing the entire
problem.  This is a very unusual set of circumstances for, as
you know, arteries carry blood one way (from the heart) and
veins carry blood TO the heart.  They are joined and twisted
together.  The operation (which began at precisely 10:30AM) to
correct this sitution is going on as I write this and will
continue at least until 6PM (a 7 and 1/2 hour operation is
the best estimate available at this time).  They will give
us a final update on how the operation went as soon as it
has ended.  Tom may have had this anomalous situation of
an artery and a vein joined since birth, the doctor
informed his family.  So, we will wait to get the final
results of the surgery (they are currently still going into
the area which needs repair) and hope to let you know something
more definitive tonight.  Until then, best 73, de Pat Scott, W4NW