[SEDXC] Sad news about Hal Vincent, NN4S by Bill Ronay, KM4LS

James R. Kauten, MD, W4TE James R. Kauten, MD, W4TE" <w4te@mindspring.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:43:57 -0400

Bill asked that I forward this to the membership:

Jim:

Just wanted to give you an update on Harold Vincent, NN4S.  He has been =
in the hospital for the most of the past 90 days.

After a bypass operation on May 9, complications from what I feel was =
medication mismanagement set in.  Blood was made way too thin and blood =
clots appeared.=20

Circulation in legs below both knees became non-existent and the left =
leg was amputated blow the knee three weeks ago.

Between the bypass and the amputation, the gall bladder was deemed =
faulty and it was removed about 6 weeks ago.

After the bypass but before the gall bladder, Hal had a stroke which =
left his right side 60% paralyzed.  He was home recovering from the =
bypass when he had the stroke.

When he went back to the hospital, his kidneys were found to be failing =
so Hal was put on dialysis...three times a week.  False hope was =
generated briefly when the kidneys started to respond but have since =
failed miserably.  Treatment continues...

A feeding tube was put in through the nose and remained as such for =
nearly two weeks after the stroke but before the gall bladder.

All this time he is back and forth to ICU and CCU and a private room at =
Athens Regional Medical Center.

Oh, after the stroke but before the gall bladder there was a clot =
removed from behind the left knee just above where the amputation took =
place.

Up to date...  Hal is in Glancy Rehabilitation Center, 3215 McClure =
Bridge Road, Duluth, GA 30096.  The reason for this facility is that =
they are the only rehab center in the area which has in-house dialysis =
treatments available 24/7.

However, the Glancy Center says that Hal must be gone by the end of this =
week because he is in a weakened condition, unable to tolerate the rehab =
regimen of their facility.

So, Jean, Hal's wife has been scurrying around Morgan County...nearer to =
the house...finding a place to transfer him to.  When he is finally =
transferred, he will then have to be taken to Greensboro for dialysis =
either by ambulance or personal transport.

Several of us are in line to volunteer for this task.

BUT...the right leg is not looking none to keen at this point and it may =
need to be amputated in the same manner, also.  In this way of thinking, =
the left leg may need to be trimmed above the knee because it is not =
healing as was hoped for.

If this was not enough...the latest X-ray reveals a spot on Hal's =
lung...don't know if it is the left or right.

Consensus among the neighbors here is that Hal will not be coming =
home...if at all...any time soon.  If you could notify the SEDXC =
membership of his condition, I would be grateful.

You have his home address and phone number.  He is not doing any email =
stuff.  Cards and letters to the residence is the most likely way to =
communicate.

If there is something you would like for me to do on the club's behalf, =
please let me know...and I will try to accomplish it post haste.

Sorry to bring such horrendous news...but suddenly realized that you =
guys did not know.

Take care of yourselves...there but for God's grace we could be, also.

--...   ...--

Bill Ronay
KM4LS

James R. Kauten, MD, W4TE

w4te@kauten.com
w4te@mindspring.com

DXCC=20
ARRL Life Member
AMSAT Life Member
INDEXA Life Member
Southeastern DX Club President (SEDXC)
South East Contest Club Member (SECC)
Buckhead Contest Club Life Member

This email was powered by MDaemon and scanned by AntiVirus Plug-in for =
MDaemon.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---