[SEDXC] AMATEUR RADIO VS FREEBANDERS

MIKE GREENWAY K4PI@peoplepc.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:08:24 -0000

I usually try to stay away from controversy but I cannot stay away from
something that is happening more often than I can stand.   The first time I
was aware that some amateur radio DXpeditions were taking along
"freebanders" to carry on their operation also was the recent Chesterfield
Is. operation.  Freebanding basically means you operate without any license
and on any frequency you want.  I thought the Chesterfield Is. operation was
an isolated incident but now I find out the present CY0MM operation from
Sable Is. is carrying on "freeband" operation.  You probably say, "Who
cares?".  Well if you  believe in the principles and ethics of amateur radio
then you cannot agree with  "freeband" operation.    Even if the amateurs on
the trip are not doing the freeband operation it is being done with their
knowledge and support.  Legally there is nothing I can do so show my
displeasure but I can write Wayne Mills, N7NG, at ARRL and tell him how I
feel and ask him not to support allowing  the CY0 or the FK/C operations to
count toward DXCC.  I have always held the DXCC program in high regard and
allowing operations that are asking for DXCC accreditation and at the same
time supporting "freebanding"  should not be accepted by the DXCC committee
as that gives some legitimacy to the "freeband" operation and cheapens the
DXCC program.  If you agree with this pass it along to any DXCC members or
write up you own feelings and contact Wayne with your views.  If you would
like to see the "freeband" website about the Sable Is. trip go to
www.sugardelta.com and look for the link to the Sable Is. trip.

73 Mike K4PI