[SEDXC] Fw: GARS Tech Fest january 24, 2004

w4te at mindspring.com w4te at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 13 18:36:23 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Norman Schklar
To: 'Jim Kauten w4te'
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:50 PM
Subject: GARS Tech Fest january 24, 2004

Jim;

If you have an opportunity, please pass this information along to SEDXC members.  There is no charge for attending, and it's a great time to visit with other hams.  If you would like to set up a table, just give us a call.

Thanks

Norm, WA4ZXV, 770-840-9664

This is some preliminary information which will be on the web site.

------------------

Get the Crock Pot Ready!  Look up that recipe for the best chili in town.  It's time for the GARS Tech Fest and Chili Cook-off.

Mark you calendar: Saturday January 24th, 2004 10:00-3:00 at the First United Methodist Church in Lawrenceville. (Directions available on web site) http://www.gars.org

The idea of Tech Fest was first tested 6 years ago when Kevin Berry, KF4RMA expressed interest in an event who's primary function was to expose members of the community to the many facets of Amateur Radio. Unlike Field day, this is not a contest or race. It is a chance to experience parts of our hobby that we might never have seen. It's a chance to hear the truth about radios and antennas, without the flashy spin that a salesperson might put on it. It is an event that encourages the free exchange of ideas and knowledge.   Watch the GARS web site for the latest information on this year's Tech Fest.  Tech Fest is an inside event, so unless there is some really strange weather, it should take off as scheduled.

If you have a special interest in some mode of amateur radio or electronics and would like to share your equipment and experiences with the community, please give David, KA4KKF, a call @ 678-467-1140 or email him at ka4kkf at arrl.net to arrange for a table to showcase your demonstration.  Space is somewhat limited, so go ahead and reserve a table.  This is also a good time for our Elmers to show up and share some tales of HAM radio history.

We'll do setup around 9:00 and start at 10:00 and serve lunch along with the Great GARS Chili Cook-off around noon.  Last year we were a little short on chili, so this year we need additional entries in the Cook-off.  We could us a volunteer to coordinate the Cook-off.

We hope to demonstrate fellowship, HF, VHF, UHF, QRP, digital communications, CW, antennas, portable operations, electronic gadgets, Club and Ham Services, our association with the ARRL, great chili and hamburgers.

Be sure to invite your non-ham friends.  This should be a great family experience and a time for some of our younger citizens to become interested in the Magic of Amateur Radio.

 If you have a special interest in some part of amateur radio and would like to share it with the local amateur community, please give me a call @ 678-467-1140 or email me at ka4kkf at arrl.net to schedule a table to showcase your demonstrations.

Norman Schklar

770.840.9664

C: 770-313-9410