[SEDXC] The Very Latest on the KS4Q Cluster

Ernie Zingleman ks4q at zingleman.com
Sat Dec 13 19:43:00 EST 2003

OK Guys,

Because of complaints to a simplex voice channel that is technically being
used outside of the band plan for 2 meters, SAW4 is now on 145.63 MHz.

It might seem very simple to pick the right frequency, but when you have 4
two meter rigs, a two meter repeater and other equipment that provides a
high RF environment, cavities are required on everything.  Moreover, antenna
location is considered and intermod calculations have to be done on each
proposed frequency to avoid producing 3rd, 5th order intermod products that
either get into the repeater or desense on of the packet two meter rigs.

Again, the present state of affairs is:

SAW5  145.69 MHz   1200 bps access
SAW4  145.63 MHz   2400 bps access
SAW3  144.97 MHz   2400 bps access

In an effort to reduce these types of headaches in the future, I'd like a
more distributed RF network.  What this means is that I need volunteers from
different areas of metro Atlanta that have high speed DSL or cable modem and
a reasonably tall tower with a 2 meter antenna.

You do not have to run a cluster.  All that is needed is a two meter
rig/antenna/ and an old PC.  The only thing that would have to be done is a
reboot of say Windows 98 every couple of weeks.  It is very simple.  I'll
provide the TNC.

Again, I'm looking for some volunteers.  I don't know that I can continue to
make this kind of effort on the cluster in the future and need help of this
kind.

Thanks, Ernie KS4Q