[SEDXC] [dx-list] Andaman Islands

n4xp at juno.com n4xp at juno.com
Sun Oct 10 22:42:23 EDT 2004

Here is more detailed info on VU4  following Daves post yesterday..  Not
sure where it came from other than looks like it might be the DX list
news group

>To All DX'ers,
>
>If you have the opportunity to be proactive in a effort to help activate
>rare DX entity I'm sure most DX'ers would accept.
>
>Over the last few weeks I've been in contact with Miku, VU2WAP. Many
have worked Miku and now he is asking for our help to provide written
support and encouragement to the Indian Telecommunications Ministry to
obtain authorization to operate from VU4, Andaman Islands.

>Recently there's been a significant change in personnel at the
Department of Telecommunications and now the minister of communications
is VU2DMK, Shri Dhayanidhi Maran.

>It's seems still there is a lack of information, a lack of understanding
>within the ministry about operating from the Andaman's and Miku has
written several high level authorities explaining the use of this
wonderful hobby. Miku needs support from the DX community to help in his
application by letters of support and showcasing it's benefits.

>Components of the letter could emphasize how amateur radio provides
>emergency communications during recent disasters in India, namely
Gujarat earthquake and Andhra cyclone. During his stay he would
demonstrate to the local businessmen, non-governmental organizations and
the local authorities the use of this wonderful hobby and how it could
provide a communications link if traditional modes would fail. Also it
can help open a window to the world showcasing Andaman tourism industry,
it's beautiful hotels and beaches and excellent fishing. If there are
other facts that you feel would promote this effort please enclose that
in your letter.

> This is an excellent time to "make it happen". It's been 15 years since
>Andaman's have been activated and wouldn't it be a great feeling knowing
you were a part of that effort. Mr. Marin has the authority to instantly
approve a license for VU4 or grant Miku a change of address on his
license. Of course, we hope this will open the door for larger operations
in the future.

>Please consider helping with your time and a unit of air mail postage
which
>can be sent to the following address:
>
>Manoj Agarwal
>44/1E Fair Field Layout Race Course Road
>Bangalore 560001, India
>
>A written letter with a signature seems to carry so much more weight but
if you feel emailing would be your only recourse send it to:

>dmaran at nic.in
>copy to: rhea at touchtelindia.net
>
>Thanks for reading this and we all hope through everyone's intercession
this will become a reality soon! Miku is asking for approval between
October,2004 and January, 2005 so favorable winter propagation can be
used.