[SEDXC] [SECC] K4GA

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 5 15:56:33 EDT 2005

> What about the possibility that a native Georgian would like to be able to
> get the K4GA call sign?
> Tommy
> W4BQF
----
I would say the probability of that is well above 99%. BUT, it would
be a very long shot with the FCC vanity process as they now apply it.

The only way for the call to be reissued within the 2 year period is
to a relative or "in memorium" to a club.

Or, sorta a run around, but a club could obtain the call "in
memorium", appoint the
Trustee as the Georgian who would like the call, and for all practical
purposes, he would then use it as his home call.

I will guarantee you one thing. If the call expires, a native Georgian
will not be the new holder. Too much politics and "back slapping" at
the FCC for that to ever happen. It will go to a ham from VA.

For instance, W4DX became available several years ago. That was the 1
call I submitted to the Mellon Bank...and yes...I drove up there, was
second in line, and saw the hand stamp at 00:00:05. ( first in line
was a YL from some Pac Island )

But, the call initially went to some jerk who claimed he was a
relative. I knew W4DX slightly, and I damn well knew this guy was a
phony. I challenged the award to the FCC and he promply lost it. Now,
it should then have been awarded to "first come" at that time on the
basis of a prior fraudulent application.

It wasn't. Believe it or not, I spoke to the FCC about it, and they
informed me the
call was granted by a "vote" at the FCC. I honestly believe we have a
lot to be thankful to regarding the FCC, but when it comes to Vaniity
calls, the system is corrupt. And the ARRL is not above rebuke in this
area. Too many times, they've gotten into bed with the
FCC as far as applications. Ask K4WI.

73
Ed