[SEDXC] Resonant Dipoles - various wavelengths

David Johnson jdavid1 at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 21 18:30:53 EDT 2006

JT,

I'm sure you know that a dipole is 1/4 wave on each side of the center feed
point and hung horizontal.  If you have the room to make it longer, you
should make it odd multiples of a 1/4 wave on each side of the center feed
point.  That is 3/4 or 5/4 etc.  Here's the advantage of doing that.  A flat
horizontal dipole (as opposed to a inverted V) has a by-directional pattern
with deep nulls off the ends.  The longer antenna ( called a center fed long
wire) has a clover leaf pattern.  That is 4 lobes with less null between
them. The dipole and the center fed long wire are both resonant antennas and
require no tuner.  The center fed long wire has a slight gain over the
dipole.  The gain increases as you go from 3/4 on each side to 5/4 etc.  The
formula for a dipole (234/frequency for a 1/4 wave) will not work for the
center fed long wire because of the added resistance in the wire.  I don't
remember the formula for a center fed long wire but a 3/4 wave wire at
14.175 is 50' 1" long.    You would need 2 of those attached to the 50 ohm
coax so you will need 100' to put it up.

Good luck and if I can help further just let me know.

Dave - K4SSU