[SEDXC] K9AY receiving loop--Anyone using one?

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 7 16:16:49 EDT 2006

Tad,

I built one and it did not perform that well in my location. I had 4 loops
and a homebrew switchbox that used a Vactrol to remotely vary the
termination resistance. The outdoor relay box is loaded with gas discharge
tubes and was NEVER bothered with lightening strikes.

I built a indoor control box that is still at my operating position. I used
Cinch plugs and jacks and small rotator cable to feed the outdoor box.

This spring I took down my "flat top" 160 dipole, NE EWE, and K9AY array as
they were all marginal. I only have a 160 inverted V with the apex at 90
feet, and an inverted "U" as by K8RRH in the "Minooka Special" article from
QST in the 1970's.

I am looking at a "steerable wave antenna" at the present and have some of
the parts already.

73,

John, W4NU