[SEDXC] Bylaws comments 1st Class Mail Notification

Don Nesbitt drnesbitt at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:34:13 EDT 2007

Mr. President, I rise to a Point of Order and submit the following:

I can hear the groans already - but - we ARE CURRENTLY operating under a set
of procedures specified in a Constitution and its' accompanying Bylaws -
regardless of how cumbersome, outdated, etc. they may seem to be.

The reason that I raised the question of "snail mail" notification (during
our meeting last night) of proposed changes to the Constitution and Bylaws
is that the CURRENT Constitution and Bylaws do indeed REQUIRE this type of
notification -  ". . . by First Class mail of the pending action . . ." -
BEFORE action can be taken (in fact, at least seven days prior).  This
CURRENT section is quoted:

"Amendments to this Constitution and Bylaws

A. This Constitution and the Bylaws of the Club may be amended by a majority
of Regular Members present at a meeting, providing the total Membership has
been notified by First Class mail of the pending action at least seven days
prior to said meeting."

Unless there has been some previous modification of this section that has
not been published, even the motion that was made last night to drop the
"First Class Mail" notification would be "out of order" and could not go
forward.  Accordingly, a vote taken on such a motion would have to be
declared null and void by the Chair.

Frankly, while having spent over 30 years dealing with this kind of minutia,
I've never enjoyed it!

When I first joined the SEDXC in the late 70's one of the things I really
liked was that we didn't get bogged down in this kind of "nit picking."

Faithful committee members have spent a lot of time and energy in
formulating changes to our Constitution and Bylaws that are meant streamline
and strength our club.  While some additional tweaking may be in order, we
should accomplish this in accordance with the rules that CURRENTLY specify
how we are required to conduct our business!  We've said that we will follow
Roberts Rules of Order - let's do that.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration.  '73 es gud dxing -- Don N4HH