[SEDXC] Tips on 100w and iwre antenna operation

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 24 18:09:35 EDT 2007

At times working DX is easy but then again there are the other times.  I
spent 20 minutes calling C52C on 12 meters with no luck but I hung around
and in a few minutes he started up agian and logged him on the second call.

I also find that stations fade in and out more with a wire antenna (I am
using my Carolina sort 80).  Last night I called BX5AA with no luck even
having a WL7 say I was on freq calling.  I went looking for other Dx and 20
minutes later came back and he was now S7 and got him on the second call.
He said I was very weak but but glad to work someone east of the left coast.

Do worry about failure as I have chased 4L2M and a CW 5R8 all over.  Well at
lunch on 15 I found 5R8RJ on SSB listening 3 up.  Took 8 or 9 calls and got
a 3/4 (he changed it to 5/4 when the QRM cleared up.  He then went QRT.

The stations tuning up for the CQ WW are good bets aas they are good ops at
big stations.  I logged at least a half dozen on Wednesday so far including
XE1KK at HC8N on 17 meter SSB and Dany at T93M on 15.

73 Dave K4JRB