[SEDXC] BIG wire antennas

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 10 21:14:18 EDT 2008

Back in 1969 I operated from the Jackson, MS Naval Reserve Station during
Hurricane Camille.  We manned the station for several days using the call
W5IZS (MS Civil Defense HQ station).  I usually operated the night shift and
a guy from Oregon called in to say we were 30 over (on 3987.5 Khz).  Later a
ham from Trinidad called in giving me the same report.  The gear used was a
Collins KWT-6 and 51S1 receiver.  The antenna was a sterba curtain for the
MW band broadside NW/SE. The sterba made the building look extremely small.

Most of us, when we think of wire antennas think MUCH smaller.  I have two
vertical dipoles on 75/80
made from old Mor-gain antennas, an 80 meter half square, and a 135 foot
elevated dipole L for 160 that seems to work PY3CEJ but little other DX.

Best all round wire antenna I had was a Fritzel OCF FD-4 for 80 to 10.
Runner up was a 160 loop skywire.  Never tried a G5RV.

73 Dave K4JRB