[SEDXC] Stand-by generator

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 4 06:53:51 EDT 2008

Dear All,

That was an interesting article from KU8E relative to having a generator. I
have had one for many years as the power is always going out here in NW
Atlanta. For about 10 years I had a SEARS Craftsman 3500 watt gasoline
powered generator. I used to store treated gasoline (with fuel stabilizer)
in 5 gallon cans on a concrete pad out back for safety reasons. In fact the
gas cans shared the concrete pad where I store old monobanders, etc.

However I got tired of getting up and pulling the generator (on wheels) from
the garage through the kitchen and out onto the upper deck. Then I had to
pull start it and walk down to the basement to throw the manual transfer
switch. I did have a receptacle on the deck where I plugged in the generator
output. Also, when the gas ran out I had to let the generator cool down
before I filled the tank for fire safety reasons.

Finally (in 2004) I purchased a Onan (Cummins Power Generation) 20 KW
generator that runs off natural gas or propane. It has a large battery that
is continually trickle charged, and it comes on automatically with a 100
ampere Onan transfer switch. Now I know I have power even if I'm not at
home. However, it was necessary to purchase a larger natural gas meter for
the street service in order to handle the increased gas flow. It also was
necessary to have separate gas regulators for the generator service and for
the service going to the furnace and water heater. Without separate
regulation the gas pressure would be pulled down by the generator and the
pilot lights for the furnace and water heater would go out.

There is no doubt that this is one of the best investments that I have ever
made. Here is a URL that shows a newer model of the generator:

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/specsheets/a-1492.pdf

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/961-0117.pdf

I don't know if the power went out last Saturday night but there was a storm
while I was out and the 3rd director on my 5 el Telrex 20 meter monobander
was bent double on one side by a large tree that was swaying in the wind!
It's now time to get a new and bigger one.

73,

John, W4NU

K4JAG, 1959 to 1998