[SEDXC] Top band receiving antennas

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 21 13:25:15 EDT 2008

I have tried many different top band receiving antennas that include EWE’s,
the K9AY loop system, short beverages & a full size 160 meter doublet about
6 feet off the ground in a diamond configuration. However, I have had mixed
results due to proximity to my transmitting antennas and due to the steep
slope of my 1 acre city lot.

In the late spring and early summer I put up two of the DX Engineering
reversible beverages. The NE/SW beverage is 240 feet long and the NW/SE
beverage is about 160 feet long. They are both fed with RG-6/U quad shield
from Home Depot. Even though they are fore-shortened they work better

than ANY other antennas I have tried. W8JI’s design is SUPERIOR even when
the wire lengths are not ideal.

I use the DX Engineering feedline RF choke as well as their switching system
for 4 different directions. The wire used in the antennas is 450 ohm open
wire line. I plan to extend the beverage lengths as time permits.

The results on 80/75 is EXCELLENT and quite acceptable on 160.

73,

John, W4NU

Checked by AVG.
6:04 AM