[SEDXC] Latvia YL QSLing

Don Nesbitt n4hh at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 12:11:29 EDT 2008

Hi Clark - been a long time since I chased down errant qsl's - but - maybe the way around this is to work Latvia in one of the many DX contests.  My suggestion is made for two primary reasons:

First: a lot of "club" stations enter DX contests and they usually do qsl via the "buro" or via a QSL manager and QSL managers are pretty good at responding.

Second:  many DX stations entering contests upload their logs to LOTW and that's an easy confirmation without the hassle of trying to get a card although, if you are like me, you really like to have the card.

During a contest (or for any other time you're home) I'd crank up VE7CC software;  set an "alarm" for "YL" and work as many as I could.

For instance, I just did a "sh/dx yl" with Ve7cc running and turned up three different stations as being spotted a number of times recently on various bands - YL2QW, YL3FT and YL2SM.

You might try emailing one of them and ask about the best QSL route or even a sked - but I'm sure many will poo-poo you for working a needed country on a "sked!"  Heaven forbid!

At one point, I had a multi-lingual friend of mine draft a note (including a confirmation of our QSO that all they had to do was verify and sign) for me in a station's native language (can't remember which country) - sent if off with IRC's or $$ (can't remember which) and got a confirmation in return very quickly.

Now if things go as usual, about the time you go to extraordinary efforts to obtain a card (make Skype calls, contact "friends" in neighboring countries, etc.) a half-dozen YL cards will show up in your next envelope from the bureau!  Always seems to happen that way!

GL, have fun es gud dxing -- Don N4HH