[SEDXC] SEDXC Participation in NWS Poll

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Fri Aug 7 08:15:16 PDT 2009

SEDXCers and Friends-

You have seen several messages from Bob Allphin, K4UEE, about the National
Wildlife Refuge Project, which occurs from  October 11-19 and the reasons to
participate in the event.  Our Activities Manager, Gary, WB4SQ is  arranging
SEDXC participation, and Tad, WF4W, has volunteered hardware support.  There
are many details to work out, and in order to proceed we need to find out
how many of you would tentatively commit to participate in the effort by
helping with setup, take down and operation.

We are focusing on two areas-one near Macon and one near Anniston, Alabama.
If we get sufficient  interest we could think about operating at both
locations.  The Refuge Week covers nine days.  We would be free to operate
during all or any portion of that period.  We could concentrate on one
weekend at one location.  Or, if we have enough participants we could
operate during the week as well.  At the moment eight sites-only one in the
southeast (TN)-  are registered to be active..

Let me tempt you with the description of the Anniston site:

**************************

Mountain Longleaf National Wildlife Refuge
Mountain Longleaf NWR is located within the Southern Appalachian Mountains
between Atlanta, Georgia (90 miles) and Birmingham, Alabama (60 miles). The
City of Anniston, Alabama is located adjacent to the refuge.

The refuge is situated along the rugged landscape of Choccolocco Mountain,
one of the highest mountain ridges in Alabama. High elevation vistas (2063
feet ASL) provide an array of beautiful fall colors and breathtaking views
of the surrounding region. Hardwood forests along mountain ridges contain
species typical of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the north, while slopes and
lower elevations are covered by longleaf pine and hardwoods commonly
associated with the Coastal Plain.

*******************************

We anticipate we will be operating in an existing structure at the site with
AC power, but those details remain to be worked.  You can learn more about
the site at http://www.fws.gov/Refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=43666  and
information about the project at

http://www.nwrweek-radio.info/gettingorganized.htm

If you would be interested in participating in some way, could you let me
know by email in the next several days at w2wg at comcast.net?  We need this
input to gauge what we can do.

Thanks and 73

Bob W2WG