[SEDXC] 6 meter amplifiers

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Aug 7 09:00:34 PDT 2009

Some notes about these amplifiers:

These are "drawers" in the overall transmitter and
   will require some mechanical work <G> to use them
   on a stand alone basis.  Here is a picture of the
   Harris transmitter: www.k8dav.com/ntsclarge.gif
   You can see the 54 slots for driver and final
   amplifiers modules in the three cabinets.  As I
   recall, the drawers are about 24" wide x 36" deep.

TV amplifiers are rated for "peak of sync" power (or
   PEP).  The peak sync occurs for very short durations
   and the amplifiers generally run with 1 to 2 dB of
   compression at that power level (the exciter/modulator
   "stretches" the sync pulse to compensate).  I would
   not count on more than 600 W PEP from the 1 KW units
   in sideband service because of linearity issues but
   they wood probably handle 1 KW in CW with sufficient
   drive.  The gain of these modules is relatively low,
   I don't think that the typical 100 W transceiver is
   capable of driving a pair to the legal limit.

As mentioned, these modules will require 50 Volts DC.
   With their efficiency, I would count on 50V @ 30A
   per module at the 600 W level.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV