[SEDXC] Old beams and such

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 3 22:19:41 EST 2009

Never did actually use a tri-pod but did have one of the 8 footers that WRL
sold that I got from Frank Jordan,W4DJD.  He had it up in his back yard in
Doraville using it to hold a big receiving loop rotated with a TR-4 rotor.

Built virtually everything from kits or scratch but the receivers.  My first
SSB unit was a Heath SB-10 which was driven by a beautiful 6146 exciter that
master builder W5DYJ traded me for my DX-35, VF-1  and WRL Modulator.  Only
took a watt or two to drive the 4-400A in AB1.  Switched to class C for AM
or CW. Hammarlund receiver, homebrew 500 watts AM/CW/SSB rig and always
stayed ahead of the hams with Collins S-Lines HI.

Finally bought a Hornet (Swan Hornet) in 1971 to replace a damaged Mosley.
That TB-4H was a direct descendent of the TB-500/750/1000 series.
Worked Ok for a few years but then got a KLM Big Stick series (5 el 10. 15,
20).  Replaced them all with the KT-34X (an early version of the XA).  I
wanted to get a 40 meter beam back up too so traded my ole Mosley 2 el to
K4PI and bought the Cushcraft 2 el.  All still works.  Thank goodness no
restrictions except an old crab behind me (I was here first!)

73 Dave K4JRB