[SEDXC] Tower tragedy

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 18 02:46:47 PDT 2009

* Jim Mullin, W8KKK (SK): Jim Mullin, W8KKK, of Concord Township, Ohio,
fell to his death from atop his 100 foot tower on June 6, reports Frank
"Fritz" Hemrich, K8WLF, also of Concord Township. According to a post
Hemrich made on QRZ.com, Mullin, 69, was in the process of dismantling
his tower and antennas when his safety belt "parted at one of the seams
and just let go." Hemrich recounted that Mullin had already been up on
the tower twice that day: "It appears as if he was on his third trip up
to re-position his gin pole to start taking apart and down the tower
sections. His ground assistant had just finished taking some pictures of
the tower and was putting his camera back in his car. As he turned away
from the car he heard Jim hit the ground." A service for Mullin was held
June 11."

I have climbed towers for years. NEVER depend only on your  safety belt.
I always have two (yes 2) safety lanyards connected to the tower in
addition to the climbing belt. When I go around guys wires and have to
disconnect I still have two lanyards connected via stainless "gorilla"
hooks.

73,

John, W4NU