[SEDXC] Special Event Station W4LZU “Salute Our Veterans Who Have Helped Keep Us Free as the Boeing B-17 ‘Aluminum Overcast’ Comes to Atlanta"

Joel Levine jlevine at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 29 19:52:03 PDT 2009

Special Event Station W4LZU will help celebrate our veterans who have
helped keep us Free! Work the station on 14.265 and 7.262 and then come
see the "Aluminum Overcast," Boeing B-17 bomber that served the US and
our Allies so well in W.W.II. This is  rare opportunity to experience a
piece of history and a perfect gift for the veteran, spouse or friend
who "has everything." Give the gift of history as Experimental Aircraft
Association (EAA) Chapter 690, located at Gwinnett County Airport,
Lawrenceville, Georgia hosts one of the few flying Boeing B-17 bombers,
“Aluminum Overcast,” on its visit to the Atlanta area. The EAA’s
restored B-17 bomber continues to thrill the public throughout the
United States on its “Salute Our Veterans” tour. Tens of thousands have
experienced this unique airplane through its visits and aircraft ground
tours, while thousands of aviation enthusiasts have actually flown in
the historic bomber. The B-17 is considered one of the greatest military
airplanes ever built and is one of the best-known aircraft types of the
World War II era.

The aircraft will be at Landmark Aviation (north side), 850 Airport
Road, from Thursday, October 1 through Sunday, October 4. Pre-scheduled
flights will take place 8:00 AM – 1:15 PM with walk-through tours
following. “The national tour EAA undertakes each year has become the
most popular ways to learn about this unique aircraft in an up-close
way,” said Tom Poberezny, EAA President. “EAA is dedicated to preserving
aviation’s magnificent heritage and our B-17 tours are a major part of
that. We also take great pride in saluting all our nation’s veterans
through this tour.”

B-17 HISTORY
Undoubtedly, the B-17, known as the Flying Fortress, is one of the most
famous American aircraft ever built. Designed in 1934 and first flown in
1935, the Boeing B-17, with its four turbo-charged 1,200 horsepower
engines and 13 machine guns placed strategically from nose to tail, can
deliver a 17,600-pound bomb load. Although 12,726 were built, fewer than
a dozen are still flying. The B-17 and its crew of ten were largely
responsible for helping bring an end to World War II.

The “Aluminum Overcast” was delivered to the Army Air Corps on May 18,
1945. The airplane has an interesting history. Purchased as surplus from
the military inventory for a mere $750 in 1946, the airplane has flown
more than 1 million miles. It has served as a cargo hauler, an aerial
mapping platform and in pest control and forest dusting applications.
The airplane's return to its military roots began in 1978, when it was
purchased by a group of investors who wished to preserve the heritage of
the magnificent B-17. The economic reality of simply maintaining a
vintage bomber, let alone the cost of restoration, prompted the group to
donate the B-17 to the Experimental Aircraft Association. Since that
time, an extensive program of restoration and preservation was
undertaken to insure “Aluminum Overcast” would be a living reminder of
World War II aviation for many years to come. The restoration has taken
more than 10 years and thousands of hours by a dedicated staff and
volunteers. It is truly a flying museum.

GROUND TOURS
The presence of such an historic aircraft offers a unique opportunity
for individuals, clubs, schools, home school and church groups, etc. to
tour the inside of this historic aircraft. Daily ground tours are $15
for a family, $5 for an adult, $3 for students, with no charge to
accompanied children under 8 and W.W.II veterans.

On Saturday, October 3rd, an "all you care to eat" Pancake Breakfast
and/or refreshments begins at 8:00 AM in the EAA Sport Aviation Center,
690 Airport Road, Gwinnett County's Briscoe Field. The public, young and
old alike, is invited and there is ample aircraft and auto parking. For
additional information contact Joel Levine: 404-314-7573 or
wa4hnl at bellsouth.net.