[SEDXC] [SECC] K4TWJ Silent Key Info from CQ Magazine

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 22 15:19:55 PST 2010

I met Dave at the Birmingham Hamfest years ago.  But after I became the CQ 160 Contest Director for CQ I treid several years to met up with Dave at the hamfest and had to call him at home in 1994.  Dave just did not go to Birmingham for some reason.

So after I became the 160 director.  I got a note from Al K2EEK that he and Dave wanted me test the Alinco DJ-1T 2 meter handheld.   It was practically useless on St. Simons with the rubber duck antenna even at 5 watts.  Neil N4FN gave it a good report on the DX repeater in Atlanta.  I did find some documentation problems (how to store memory) but otherwise it was a nice cheap hand held.  The review was in the same 1993 issue with Val N4RJ on the cover.

Dave and I corresponded from time to time but other than having him come by the ESCO booth at Dayton in 1995 I never saw him again.

RIP Dave

73 Dave K4JRB