[SEDXC] Curt George, W4SSU

Paul Newberry n4pn at cox.net
Fri Dec 23 21:00:32 PST 2011

Dave:
I called John, K4BAI, as soon as I got my QST. Shows my age for sure when
the
"Silent Keys" is where I go first. It's always a shock when I see someone
who has
touched my life in some way thru ham radio. Curt did.
We made several trips together along with his buddy, Bob, (W4MCM) W4HR.
It was always nice to have a couple of, and sometimes more, captains with
the
airlines. Bob and Curt were both captains with Delta. We never worried about
overrage charges with the equipment. John, W4NU, mentioned the "big signals"
out
of Atlanta back in the days, but there was another one on West Paces Ferry
Road,
that would light up your radio - Wally Carpenter, K4TJL. He was President of
the SEDXC back in the early days. Meetings were held in downtown Atlanta
in the old Fulton National Bank building, where Wally was the president, I
think.
Again, as I saw that call in QST, it brought back nothing but great memories
of
those "good ole days". Sure these guys are having their own hamfest - W4SSU,
W4HR, K4RPK, W4BFR, K4EZ and other OT's.
RIP Curt,
73, Paul