[SEDXC] Curt George, W4SSU

John Harden jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 24 05:01:28 PST 2011

Paul,

Gordon Jones (SK and W4COO) lived on West Paces Ferry Road at Northside
Drive. In fact one of his children lives in that home now. He was
Chairman of the Fulton National Bank. Wallace Carpenter, K4TJL, was a
Vice-President of the bank and also lived on West Paces Ferry Rd. They
were good friends to say the least.

Wally had a Collins 30S-1 amplifier (and so did I years ago) and he sent
it to Collins and said "I need more power out"!! Collins could raise the
screen voltage on the 4CX-1000A and get a little more out, but not
enough to really make any difference. I substituted a 4CX-1500B and that
DID make a difference. The power supply was more than robust enough.

In the old days Bob Hudson (W4HR, and before that W4MCM) lived on Ross
Drive in East Point where I grew up. Curtis George (W4SSU) lived on
Barge Road in SW Atlanta. K4RPK (Lee Foster) also lived in SW Atlanta.
All three were Delta Pilots. They were all DX mentors for K4TEA and I
and we used to go to their homes together. I saw my first Collins S-line
at K4RPK's QTH in 1960 (75S-1 es 32S-1).

Lee Foster had one of the premier DX signals in Atlanta with his 4 el
Telrex monobander on a 36 foot boom. Curtis George had a 5 el 20 on a
windmill tower. They all had big signals. Buck Joyner (W4TO &  also in
SW Atlanta) had the biggest signal of all. He was an Eimac rep and had a
big amp that nobody ever saw that I knew of (I believe a pair of Eimac
4-1000A's). He also had monobanders which very few had in the early
1960's. K4TEA and K4TKM used to play touch football in his yard.

I treasure the memories of those great guys. The rule was big smoke,
lots of aluminum and up as high as possible.

73,

John, W4NU
K4JAG 1959 to 1998