[SEDXC] Taking ham gear through security

Gregg W6IZT w6izt at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 28 09:57:11 PST 2011

The correct answer is "it depends".

On my trip to PJ6 two weeks ago, TSA did not even open my carry-on which
contained a complete K3 station and accessories. Consider telling the TSA
that the equipment in your carry on is amateur radio equipment before it
goes into the X-ray equipment.

On most of my trips I have had to completely empty my carry-on.

Obviously bring a copy of your license as well as copies of the CEPT
documents if applicable.

If you check baggage with radio equipment, enclose a document stating that
the enclosed equipment is amateur radio equipment, a copy of your license,
as well as a copy of the photo page of your passport.

YMMV

73
Gregg