[SEDXC] Interesting Phenomena. Worm hole entrance or strangepropagation?

Jeff Carter sedxc at hidden-valley.com
Sat Jan 1 20:48:07 PST 2011

We use the speed of light as a convenience and because it's the true
velocity in free space, but as you've pointed out RF doesn't travel at the
speed of light in atmosphere.  There's a velocity factor to consider for any
given transmission medium.

The ARRL Handbook used to cover this, but I don't know if it still does.  An
old copy might be of use.

When I read the original post, it sounded to me like multipath receive.  You
may recall back in the days of analog NTSC TV if there was an antenna
location near a mountain range or large buildings, there would be a
"ghosting" effect on the screen sometimes.  This was a phase difference
caused by the direct signal being received and then the reflected signal
from the obstruction being received milliseconds later.

The weather conditions could have caused the observed phenomena, and without
further data I'd have to assume that's what happened.  Broadcasters with
studio-to-transmitter links battle this situation sometimes.

Jeff