[SEDXC] K4JRB back on 80 and band conditions

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 11 17:48:06 PDT 2011

Thanks to Norm, WA4ZXV, MIke ND4V, and Paul, W4KLY I got both ends of my
Carolina 80 beam back up.  I have it so I can adjust the long vertical
element to change the frequency.  As I laid it out its on 3745 with 1.9 at
3505 and 1.8 at 3810 so plan on leaving it alone for now.  I was busy
Saturday nite but got on for less than 10 minutes
and worked 5 stations of 75 SSB during the IARU
including a W7, a VE2, VP9, LR7 (LU) and finally GR2HQ.  All worked on one
call and no repeats
necessary.  I heard a PI4, OE1, and a 5C but had to leave.

I have noticed for the last few weeks that PY and LU (plus even KP4) have
open shots at EU and Asia even on 10.  If you wonder why K4WES in NC said
that JX5O was weak on 17, there is a Mountain in the way of working the SE
USA.  Seems that W6 and 7 and NE USA hear them well but the band has to be
really open to hear them here  Best I have heard them was 559 on 40 CW and
5/5 on peaks on 20 SSB.  Many times they are reported working USA on 17, 15,
and even 20 and they are not even faint here.  W3AZD says South Florida gets
openings on 15, 12, and 10 that only his area and South get.  I listened to
KP2/AA1BU work everything in sight from EY7 to all of Eu on 15 the other day
and only two weak French stations were heard here on the KT-34XA at 76.5
feet.

73 Dave K4JRB