[SEDXC] K4JRB back on 80 and band conditions

rfoxwor1 at tampabay.rr.com rfoxwor1 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 10:25:42 PDT 2011

---- David  Thompson <thompson at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I have noticed for the last few weeks that PY and LU (plus even KP4) have
> open shots at EU and Asia even on 10.  If you wonder why K4WES in NC said
> that JX5O was weak on 17, there is a Mountain in the way of working the SE
> USA.  Seems that W6 and 7 and NE USA hear them well but the band has to be
> really open to hear them here  Best I have heard them was 559 on 40 CW and
> 5/5 on peaks on 20 SSB.  Many times they are reported working USA on 17, 15,
> and even 20 and they are not even faint here.  W3AZD says South Florida gets
> openings on 15, 12, and 10 that only his area and South get.  I listened to
> KP2/AA1BU work everything in sight from EY7 to all of Eu on 15 the other day
> and only two weak French stations were heard here on the KT-34XA at 76.5
> feet.
>
> 73 Dave K4JRB

For what it's worth, last night (Monday) between 2300 - 2330 Z JX5O was a real
honest 579-589 on 14034, and of course when they are this strong, brings out all
those who call on frequency and ignore "up". Every time I've heard them before
this, they were between ESP level and 459. Within a half hour they had dropped
at least 20 dB. This is on an inverted Vee up 30 feet, cut for 80m and fed with
ladder line. Location Lakeland FL. This may be the type opening that Don AZD is
referring to. My 30 and 20 CW were at ESP level and the benefit of this is that
many can't even hear them. No competition?  Using 100 w to a inv Vee.  - Bob k2euh