[SEDXC] Construction Update for Dayton 2011 ...

Weymouth Walker weymouth01 at comcast.net
Mon May 9 06:03:58 PDT 2011

*From:* hamvention at yahoogroups.com [mailto:hamvention at yahoogroups.com]
*On Behalf Of *Robert Lunsford
*Sent:* Monday, May 09, 2011 2:39 AM
*To:* hamvention at yahoogroups.com
*Subject:* [Hamvention] Construction Update for Dayton 2011

OK, here is the rundown on the bumper crop of orange barrels in Dayton
this year.

I-75 @ US 35
I-75 Southbound to US 35 the ramps are GONE! This is yet another phase
of the I-75 modernization project that has been ongoing for a few years
now. To access US 35 in either direction from I-75 South you will go to
the next exit (Exit 51 Edwin C. Moses Blvd) and stay in the far left
lane once you start down the exit. This lane will take you to a
continuous U_Turn style ramp provided by ODOT to get you right back on
Northbound I-75 where you can access US 35. This will be in place for at
least another year, so keep this one in mind for 2012.

I-75 from North end of Downtown Dayton to Stanley Avenue
They have finished all ramps in this portion and all are open. There are
3 lanes Northbound and 2 lanes Southbound. Finishing touches are being
applied to the divider wall between Northbound and Southbound. No word
on if they will harvest the orange barrels here before or after the
show, but it will be close. If we had not received a year's worth of
rain in the last month this might have already been completed.

I-70 at Exit 26 (Hoke Road)
Now for the not so good news... ODOT has found our favorite backdoor in
to Hamvention. I am still trying to get word on just exactly what the
project is, but with under 2 weeks till the show, about 2 miles of
orange barrels have sprouted here in the last 5 days. I will post an
update once I get it, but I fear this may be the next phase in an
ongoing project to widen I-70 from border to border and to do so they
need to enlarge the Hoke Road overpass. If that is the case, this could
get messy.

I-75 at Exit 58 (Needmore Road)
This is the big mess! As a stage of the I-75 modernization project they
are preparing to replace this overpass. Currently Needmore Road is 1
lane each way and the lanes are narrowed. There are at times lane
restrictions on I-75 depending on the work being done overhead. The
lanes are not adequate for any semis to make the left turn from I-75 to
Needmore from either direction. Detours are posted for both directions.
If possible, I would suggest avoiding this exit. I-75 flows OK unless
there is an outside influence, such as a crash.

For now, these are the biggies we are aware of. If others pop up
additional emails will be posted to the reflector. Also, even you
veterans of Hamvention, may want to listen to Talk-In on 146.940 while
in the area. If we become aware of any additional issues we will give
real-time updates there. We do maintain contact with many area agencies
and have access to monitor traffic cameras around the area. If you need
to reach Talk-In the repeater has 1 receiver that is carrier squelch,
however the rest do require use of a 123.0 Hz tone.

Rob KB8UEY
Talk-In Chairman