[SEDXC] Low Band RFI

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Dec 26 08:01:49 EST 2012

Your antenna layout and wiring, both of which are unknown, are critical for
solving problems like this.

<<
Since I've been home, it's been a mad rush before Christmas to get antenna
work done in the backyard. While everything is almost done, I now have a new
problem: RFI. While testing on 160 yesterday and tuning the amplifier up on
80M tonight, I've had some horrendous RFI - to the effect that my home alarm
system thinks there is a fire in the house whenever I transmit with over 300
watts on 80 or 160 - VERY NOT GOOD! What really gets me is - when I was home
for Thanksgiving, I was having no problems running 1000 Watts on CW on 80M -
somethings up...
Before I call the alarm company, does anyone have any suggestions? >>

The alarm system should not be a radio detector, but problems like this are
almost always a combination of two  systems being less than perfect or
ideal. In this case one is the alarm system, the other is likely the antenna
installation.

73 Tom