[SEDXC] STAINLESS STEEL

Carl Henson carlh at wb4znh.com
Mon Jan 9 15:44:16 PST 2012

Stainless Steel is indeed more dissimilar from Aluminum than carbon steel,
but I have seen very little evidence of corrosion with SS having replaced
all the regular hardware with SS on several airplanes.  The rust on the
carbon steel causes a mechanical problem and looks bad.
A person concerned about dissimilar corrosion could paint the SS with Zinc
Chromate primer to alleviate that condition or if you could find Cadmium
plated SS that would also do the trick since Cadmium is not dissimilar to
SS or Aluminum.  Carl