[SEDXC] STAINLESS STEEL

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jan 10 05:50:56 PST 2012

> Stainless Steel is indeed more dissimilar from Aluminum than carbon steel,
> but I have seen very little evidence of corrosion with SS having replaced
> all the regular hardware with SS on several airplanes.  The rust on the
> carbon steel causes a mechanical problem and looks bad.
> A person concerned about dissimilar corrosion could paint the SS with Zinc
> Chromate primer to alleviate that condition or if you could find Cadmium
> plated SS that would also do the trick since Cadmium is not dissimilar to
> SS or Aluminum.  Carl

It was brought up on some reflector, but I am not sure which one, when
someone was asking about clamps or hardware.

Someone said the greater dissimilarity caused much more harmful corrosion
than just using zinc coated, but I have never seen that in 40 years of
mixing stainless with aluminum on antennas. I'm sure the warning intentions
were good, but I'll continue to use stainless here. I've never yet found a
case of corrosion where stainless and aluminum interact.  :-)