[SEDXC] Headsets...

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Oct 26 08:54:51 EDT 2012

> While this is certainly a fine headset, I'd be interested in what the
> rest of the group uses?

I used a Heil ProSet with HC5 element for 30 years with periodic
replacement of the cushions, etc.  A couple years ago the element
failed and I broke the housing trying to open it to troubleshoot.
Heil refused to sell me a replacement housing and wanted me to send
the headset to the "Heil Hospital" for refurbishment at a cost that
was equivalent to what dealers were getting for *new* headsets.

I replaced the Proset with a Yamaha CM-500 - generally available from
B & H Photo, Sam Ash, Amazon etc. for $45 - $50 - and haven't looked
back.  The CM-500 has an electret element so it's a direct replacement
for the Heil iC series with Icom or Elecraft.  Yaesu, Kenwood, TenTec
rigs will require a "power adder" (resistor and capacitor) but it's
that's dead simple to build into an adapter cable (similar to the Heil
AD-1 adapters).

For 1/3 the price of the Proset, the CM-500 is far more comfortable,
lighter and every bit as effective as the new Proset HC6 - after using
the CM-500 for a year, I picked up a second one on sale as a spare.
Given Heil's attitude to repairs, for the price, performance and
comfort, I will never go back to Heil's over priced products!

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 10/26/2012 12:09 AM, Michael Almeter wrote:
> Hello Everyone, I'd like to get a feel for what everyone uses for a
> headset. For the
last several years, I've used a Heil headset with the HC-4 element which
is labeled the "DX Dream Machine". While this is certainly a fine
headset, I'd be interested in what the rest of the group uses? I know
Heil offers a wide selection of microphone elements, and I'd like to
know if anyone uses the "rag chew" mic element (I believe it's the HC 5
or HC 6)? Anyone else using a non Heil product? I'm looking for a
product that has enough of an edge to it that it can break through
pileups, but something that can fit right in to a rag chew... Any thoughts?