[SEDXC] METAL DETECTORS

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Sep 20 11:18:08 EDT 2012

Mike,

Metal detectors will normally not work on thin wires unless they contain
significant iron. The reason is copper and non-ferrious metals are detected
by eddy currents that decrease the detector's inductance and increase
frequency.

To trace cables and radials I use an MFJ-259 coupled to a conductor or cable
my a transformer, and I have a small loop antenna I walk around the area
with using a portable receiver fed by the loop.

I can find cables a foot or more deep within inches of where they are really
at using the loop null.

I do bury metal plates over cable crossings so I can locate them with my
metal detectors, but tracing normal radials and wires requires RF signals.

I have pictures of how I do this, but have not written an article yet. It
works over hundreds of feet of cable length.

This is the best method I have found, but there may be better metal
detectors I don't have. If anyone else has a better system that **really**
works, please answer here! By really works, I mean reliably locates small
wires within a few inches.

73 Tom