[SEDXC] K4JRB Spratley Moments

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 17 23:46:14 EDT 2013

My first QSO with Spratly was with Stew K4SMX as 1S1A.  Don't have my cards
with me but think that was 1977. This was on 15 SSB.

in the Mid 1990's I worked 9M8S on 40 SSB.  Val came up and quickly worked
them,too.  They were S9+ and having problems working other stateside so I
worked them with my club call I held at the time.  Back comes Val using
W4NT.  As Val told me it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I later worked them on 80 CW.

9M8S was the loudest Spratly of all of the Dxpeditions.

We still mourn the two DL's who were killed my cannon fire.

No I did not work them on 12.  They were 569 for a few minutes on 12 RTTY
and I left the transceiver on them until they faded out here.

Dave K4JRB