[SEDXC] A CFL Bulb Issue

Mack N4SS n4ss at outlook.com
Sun Mar 23 14:40:46 EDT 2014

A bad S9 plus growling noise suddenly began a week ago which covered the
entire 80 meter band making it totally unusable. Other bands including 160
meters were ok.  After a few days I checked with close by neighbors thinking
one may have installed a new device or something. Nothing turned up on that
search.  The noise continued for another few days so decided the next step
was to eliminate the house. This is the funny part.  Got up early, moved the
antenna from main radio to a FT-847, connected a battery, and verified that
the noise was still there. Went downstairs to go outside and pull the main
disconnect when I heard a loud POP. Discovered it to be a CFL bulb that my
wife had installed in one of the kitchen lights about six months ago.
Pulled the bulb out not thinking too much of it but decided to go back up
and check the receiver anyway. Yep, the noise was completely gone and has
not returned.  Although not a scientific conclusion, these CFL bulbs can
generate some strong RF noise just before going out.  Data from the CFL bulb
is GREAT VALUE, Model EDXO-14, Item number GVS144DL. Hope this might help
someone.

73's Mack N4SS