[SEDXC] WHY DELETION KURE AND MIDWAY

Mike Greenway K4PI at Bellsouth.net
Sat May 6 18:00:40 EDT 2017

Interesting reading..

  Midway and Kure DXCC Deleted
  <http://www.n0un.net/midway-kure-dxcc-deleted/>

Midway, Kure Islands DXCC Deleted
<http://www.n0un.net/wp-content/uploads/midway-kure-dxcc-deleted-map.jpg>The
news is out on the ARRL Website: KH7 and KH4 Kure and Midway DXCC
Deleted
<http://www.arrl.org/news/view/midway-and-kure-islands-are-now-deleted-dxcc-entities>.

But something to me smells fishy about these deletions.

President Bush proclaimed the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Coral Reef
Ecosystem Reserve in 2006. Laura Bush named it the Papahänaumokuäkea
Marine National Monument early 2007.

Co-trustees in 2006 were the Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Interior Department’s Fish and
Wildlife Service (FWS) and the State of Hawai‘i. Today the co-trustee
agencies are: the Commerce Department (National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration); the Interior Department (Fish and Wildlife Service);
the State of Hawai‘i Land and Natural Resources Department (DLNR) and
the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA).

Nothing has changed other than a couple more government agencies are now
co-trustees as far as I can see (imagine that – more government). Nobody
was dropped out of co-trustee, just added.

All maps I can find clearly show Kure and Midway were part of the
Papahänaumokuäkea Marine National Monument all the way back to its first
designation (proclamation) in 2006.

I see where President Obama expanded the boundaries in 2016, but that
expansion included nothing but water away from the original chain of
islands. It did not include Kure or Midway as they were already included
in 2006.

The ARRL states, “Midway (KH4) had qualified for DXCC status by virtue
of its being governed by a separate administration. Because it is now
under the administration of Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument,
however, it becomes a deleted entity.”

Well, my question is – Midway was under the administration of the
co-trustees of Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument since 2006
(see above), and it is still administered by the same co-trustees. So
why now, 11 years later is it being deleted? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Like I said, it smells fishy.  Could it be an epic April Fool’s Joke?
We’ll soon see…

N0UN