[SEDXC] 6 M DX REPORT

Mike Greenway K4PI at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sun Aug 5 11:03:08 EDT 2018

I did not send anything out last night as yesterday was sad.  Did hear a few common EU but nothing to get excited.  EA, EA8, 9H I.  On and off all day I would see an occasional EU but the NE USA had all the prop.  This morning was a different story.  I did not get into the shack tile around 7:45 and KX4R and N3XX told me they had been working EU since around 7:25.  They started hearing OD5KU, but at first I could not hear him so started changing antennas frantically.  Finally he appeared here and was able to work.  XX and R both got him also.  Lots of Med stations.. from 7:45 to 8:15  OD5, 4X, IS0 I, F, TK5, from 8:15 to 9:30 some of those plus OZ, SM, EI.  Then nothing than USA.  It was exciting to work the OD5.  I am sending this early so there could be another wave.  West coast is hearing KH6 already but we probably would not see that until late afternoon but who knows.  Maybe EU will open again.

There is some speculation it has something to do with the volcano eruption in KH6 and the dust particles from it being spread worldwide and moisture particles attaching to them.  If you are interested, look at some of the following.   In the Wiki article look at the Discovery and Investigation section.. The second article gets a little deep.. There are many articles on the web around NLC  Noctilucent Clouds.  They form right in the region of where E clouds normally exist.  Whatever it is I like it.  73 Mike K4PI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2008JD009927