[SEDXC] LOW BAND DX

Scott Straw kb4kbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 21:04:04 EST 2018

I have heard other say they they are QRO (100W+) in FT8 mode on HF.  I have been under the impression/delusion that FT8 (as well as all of the Joe Taylor-spawned modes) was a “low power” mode, i.e. 50W or less, preferably much less, on HF.  Of course Satellite and EME are a different discussion.

Can someone enlighten me on this? Have I been hobbling myself on HF unnecessarily at 25W (50-70W on ATNO occasions)?

Thanks in advance for the lessons...

Scott, KB4KBS
Roswell, Georgia USA
(EM74)