[SESprint] N2NL's Sprint Tips (FWIW)

David Mueller sesprint@contesting.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

I wrote down some tips I use when I run the Sprint -
hopefully it will help someone.  I've seen alot of
advice on HOW to operate the Sprint, but not how to do
WELL in it.  This is based on my experiences in SFL,
and might not adapt to those further north.  I hope
you can follow, as I wrote this as thoughts came to
mind.

Sprint Tips

	Start out on 20m.  Although a lot of the W9’s have
made a tradition of starting on 40m, which allows them
to work each other before the band goes long, for us
in Florida 20m is the place to be.  If you have 2
radios, keep the 2nd on 40, where you can drop a CQ if
you are searching for a QSO on 20 or receiving an
exchange from someone who will be taking the frequency
from you.  Likewise, if someone calls you on 40, drop
a CQ on 20.  Work 20m as long and as hard as you can
since that is often will be your best band – most
multipliers will be worked there.  Dig deep even for
scatter QSOs.  Remember that there are a limited
number of stations active – and the more you can work
on a given band the more guys you are going to work
overall.
	This goes for the entire contest.  Personally, I will
either work my way up or down the band.  I will call
someone I need, work him, and receive one caller.
Once I relinquish the frequency I will continue up or
down the band.  Often you will notice a group of about
20 guys just about “in step” with you.  That’s fine
because at the beginning you need them too.  If you
find out, however, that they are constantly beating
you out, or you have seemed to have worked everyone
you hear, spin the dial to another part of the band
and start over.  You’ll find yourself amidst a new
group of “fresh meat”.  Try high and low in the band
as well.  you'll usually find guys staying there in
one part of the band.
	DON’T GET FLUSTERED – the best operator will go
through periods of frustration at not being able to
make a QSO for a couple minutes.  Eventually you work
through it and will work another string of guys.  The
more you work yourself up, the more you are hurting
your own effort.  The contest is fast paced enough
than to have to deal with your own issues.  A second
radio here is helpful – you can be CQing on it which
helps you feel that at least you’re doing something
productive.
	By about 0115Z, 20 will have pretty much dried up.
You notice a lot of the activity is starting to
disappear.  Don’t give up on the band too quickly.  40
will be rocking, but the sooner you go there, the
sooner you will work the band out.  I find it better
to stay a little later on 20, which will ensure a good
3rd hour which is usually everybody’s worse hour for
QSO totals.  20 will still be productive, and with
less QRM, you will be able to work the weaker guys and
the ones with low QSO totals.  These often are rare
multipliers also!  There will be activity on 20m for
the entire contest at this point of the cycle.  With a
2nd radio, I will often CQ here the entire contest.
It is more than likely that a rare multiplier will
call in during the last hour, such as a KL7.
	Somewhere about 0130, it is time to move to 40
meters.  This is a breath of fresh air as almost
everyone you hear is a new QSO.  The rate will jump
and you’ll be having a blast.  Keep the 2nd radio on
20m and drop a CQ now and then when you can.  If you
listen around, all the top scorers are doing it.  20
will be very quiet and it will be easy to tune the 2nd
radio to find new guys you might need, all the while
working the fresh meat on 40. 20 and 40 are your money
bands, so make use of them.  Since you stayed on 20
longer than most, a lot of the guys have already
worked each other on 40 so it will be easier going for
you.  Once again, keep an ear open for the weaker
stations as they always seem to be that rare mult you
need.
	Lets say you tune and hear a multiplier you need.
Lets say it is WB0O.  You call him but get beat by
someone else.  DON’T STICK AROUND – he will have to
QSY before working another station.  If the QSO is
almost over, tune up the band a hair and send a CQ.
Hopefully he’ll follow you up and answer you.  If he
doesn’t call, tune down and see if he called someone
down the band versus up.  Usually you can catch them
this way.  More than likely though you will work those
guys later.  If you get obsessed with working him,
your rate is dropping like a rock.  Often, the guys
you need have low QSO numbers and aren’t really
sprint-adept.  Your best chance is call CQ high in the
band slowly and wait for them to call you.  This is
another advantage of SO2R.
	Now, by 0300z, 40 has dried out for you.  Most of the
guys have already gone to 80.  If you are in Florida,
DON’T QSY THERE YET!  I’ve done 4 or 5 sprints now
from Florida.  Every single time I went to 80 this
early, I got my butt handed to me.  All the W9’s will
be working each other, and the W4’s in TN will all be
working the W1/2/3/8/9 right through you.  They’re
simply closer and louder than you will be.  80 never
ceases to be a frustrating band to me for this reason.
 Hopefully 20/40 will still be good because you will
be banging your head into the wall on 80.  I will QSY
there at about 0315Z, after most of the guys have
worked each other, and it gets a little better for
you.  I usually can blow off 70-80 QSOs in the last 40
minutes, which is decent and keeps me in the overall
game.  If I QSY at 0300z, I might finish with another
5 QSOs, which is ends up being a waste of time.  I
have not yet been able to come up with a solution to
this, other than to work 20 and 40 for all it is
worth.  It could be the station I use, but more than
likely it is geographical location.
	Finally, there is one thing to remember.  Compete
against YOURSELF.  Don’t get frustrated when N2NT
gives you #65 when you are at #20.  Those guys have
been doing it way longer than you have, and really
aren’t human to start with.  No matter how well I
think I’m doing, I know that eventually N6TR/K7RAT
will call in with 50 more QSOs than I have.  Compete
against yourself, and try to better your score from
last time.  Make a goal – for most it is breaking the
300 QSO barrier.  Some guys have tried for years and
haven’t been able to do it yet.  Recently there has
been a flurry of sprint activity and breaking 300 is
getting easier.  Have fun, do your best, and enjoy the
rush that is the Sprint.

73, Dave N2NL

PS –I’ve only finished in the top 10 once in my life,
so take the advice for what it is worth.  This IS the
strategy I use, and it seems to work well for me.  I’m
not hiding anything.  Maybe someone who keeps kicking
my butt will read this, find a flaw in my strategy,
and offer me some advice.  I’m open to suggestions!