[Skimmertalk] 160M Skimmer Observations

Rick Walker rnwalker at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 4 10:10:04 PST 2009

I was monitoring just callsigns.  However, decoding accuracy really isn't my
primary point.  My primary point is that a signal which is consistently
shown by SpectraVue to be anywhere from 4 to 10 dB above its display of my
local 160M noise floor is only occasionally shown as an extremely faint
trace by CW Skimmer even though both software applications used the same
SDR-IQ receiver and RX antenna (not at the same time, of course).  It made
me wonder if there was some "minimum signal threshold" used by CW Skimmer
and if, perhaps, that threshold was set too high for a quiet night on 160
(at least in my part of the country).

Rick
K4TD