[Skimmertalk] Two instances of CWskimmer in Win7?

Jeff Maass K8ND jmaass at k8nd.com
Wed Mar 18 19:04:27 EDT 2015

G'day mark,

I've successfully run as many as four instances on my Win7 laptops (with
SDR-IQ and Perseus SDRs), and we routinely run two each on  two Win7 laptops
for the PJ2T Skimmers for CQWW and CQWW 160. The block diagram arrangement
used for the PJ2T 2015 CQWW 160 CW Contest operation is online at
http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Planning/CQWW160/PJ2T_CW_Skimmer_CQWW160CW_2015.pd
f .

I'll see if I can reconstruct my process without spending much time
double-checking.

1. Create separate directories in the 'Program Files/Afreet' directory. Mine
are called 'CwSkimmer1', CwSkimmer2', 'CwSkimmer3', etc.
2. Install CW Skimmer into each directory.
3. In each directory, rename the executable to match the directory name:
'CwSkimmer1.exe' 'CwSkimmer2.exe', 'CwSkimer3.exe', etc.).
      There is a screen capture of the directory of one of my Skimmer
directories at

http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/CW_Skimmer/Multiple_Skimmers_5174.JPG.

4. Create a shortcut for each of the CwSkimmer .EXE  executable files.
5. When you run each skimmer, it will create a separate directory under
'C:\Users\(User name)\AppData\Roaming\Afreet\Products\'
       with the name of the executable (CwSkimmer1, CwSkimmer2, CwSkimmer3,
etc.).
6. When your run each skimmer, it will place the .INI file for that instance
of CW Skimmer into the new directory with the same name,
      with the name 'CwSkimmer1.ini', CwSkimmer2.ini, etc.    All the log
files for that instance will be created there.

That's it!  The key is to put the executables into separate directories and
name them differently.

Google on how to un-hide the "hidden directories" on Windows 7, or you won't
find 'AppData'.  Windows 7 is a pain in the ass for those who want to
control their own destinies!

73,  Jeff  K8ND