[Skimmertalk] Deaf QS1R

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Dec 20 22:04:40 EST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 6:50 PM Andy KU7T <ku7t at ku7t.org> wrote:

> I also transmit at same location but have a protector on the front end,
> and also a 10 db preamp. Preamp first, then protector.

Protector should go between antenna and preamp, to protect the preamp.

> In fact I did my investigations in SDRMaxV and it all runs fine but
> without signals and just some strange birdies.

I don't really trust that program.  Try HDSDR via Extio_QS1R.dll or
Extio_CWSLdll.

http://www.srl-llc.com/qs1r_latest/WINRAD/ExtIO_qs1r_04192011.7z

https://github.com/HrochL/CWSL/raw/master/bin/CWSL.zip

Of course SDRMaxV can't be used while SkimSrv is running.

> When I connect the CWSkimmer Server again, I get a jump from 4W to 9W when
> skimming all 7 bands (measured on the 110V side)

Sounds about right.  QS1R should draw about 1.5A x 5V = 7.5W when operating
normally.

> When I connect my skimmer antenna, it has about 100 decoders, when I
> disconnect the antenna, it stays about the same.

You really have to listen with a different program as you connect and
disconnect the antenna.

>  Is there something in the RF path that I could check? Is there a
> protection diode/fuse that could be blown?

Not that I'm aware of, other than a broken trace on the PC board at the
antenna connector.

You should still be able to hear your own transmitter when transmitting
into a dummy load.  Assuming the RX antenna is relatively nearby.

73,
Bob, N6TV