[NZ4O Spaceweather] New Solar Cycle 24 Sunspot Group Emerges

Thomas F. Giella NZ4O nz4o at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 21 19:17:44 PDT 2009

Posted Monday September 21, 2009

A new solar cycle 24 sunspot emerged yesterday at S30E77. Today NOAA/SWPC
gave it #11026 at location S29E63. In the past few days there had been allot
of hype concerning this new sunspot group and as I didn't want to followed
the Pied Piper into the abyss, so I held off on posting about the sunspot
group until I could verify that it was actually a sunspot group and not
another active plage.

It remains to be seen what it's magnetic signature is and how fast if any
that it grows in size and magnetic complexity. So far it has produced 11
sunspots and pushed the solar flux index to 73, the highest since Jun 01,
2009. #11026 has produced one very small B class solar flare in the past 48
hours and small C class solar flares are possible in future days.

Prior to the emergence of solar cycle 24 sunspot group #11026 we went 19
days without a sunspot group. Since January 01, 2009 we have seen 212 days
without a sunspot group.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o at arrl.net
eList Owner/Moderator
John 3:16 <><

LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF Frequency Radiowave Propagation Email Reflector:
NZ4O Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o1.htm
NZ4O Daily LF/MF/HF/6M Frequency Radiowave Propagation Forecast & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o3.htm
NZ4O 160 Meter Radio Propagation Theory Notes:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o5.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data In Graphic & Image Format:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o2.htm
NZ4O Solar Cycle 24 Forecast Discussion & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm