[NZ4O Spaceweather] EF0-1 Tornado Strike

Thomas F. Giella NZ4O solarcycle24 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 6 16:12:57 PDT 2011

Guys and gals as promised here is my experience with last weeks EF0-1
tornado.

As a now officially retired meteorologist but nevertheless still active in
the profession as far as producing private weather forecasts for myself and
recording daily weather observations, Thursday March 30, 2011 began like any
other day. I started with my daily check of upstream weather parameters,
looked at forecast model MOS, etc. Immediately the red flag alarm went up as
everything was pointing to a significant severe weather outbreak for the
Florida region for Friday March 31, 2011.

Severe weather indices looked similar to the February 1998 and April 1966
severe weather outbreaks. I vividly remember the April 1966 severe weather
outbreak. I was in 4th grade in Dade City, FL and we had to duck and cover
under our desks as a tornado passed nearby.

Anyway Friday March 31, 2011 dawned ominously with the eastern Gulf of
Mexico full of lines of thunderstorms with embedded meso scale cyclones
(counter clockwise rotating thunderstorms) and many individual super cell
thunderstorms that contained meso cyclone’s. Eventually these storms would
spawn 9 tornadoes across the central peninsula region.

At approximately 10:00 am EDT I noticed one particularly mean looking
discrete super cell thunderstorm out in the GOM. I plotted its speed and
direction of movement and it dawned on me that if this particular
thunderstorm stayed together it would cross right over me by 1:00 pm EDT,
GADS!!!

Well the storm did stay together and actually got stronger and began moving
faster (50+mph). At approximately 12:00 pm EDT Lakeland Linder Airport
(which is located five miles to my west) was struck by a super cell
thunderstorm replete with an EF1 tornado and wind gusts to 95 mph. The Sun N’
Fun Flyin was underway with many people, tents and aircraft painfully
exposed. The end result was collapsed tents, many injuries and 40 airplanes
wrecked.

So at approximately 12:00 pm EDT I was scanning the western sky and watched
day turn into night and a very fast moving dark cloud headed my way. At
12:04 pm I saw the EF0-1 30-40 yard wide tornado headed right for my house.
It was hopping across an open field, was full of tree limbs and was making a
groaning and whistling sound. I sent the wife and two daughters into our
central hallway, which is the only space in the house with no outside walls.

I stayed at the window and observed the tornado which was moving towards the
east at approximately 50 mph. Just as it arrived and I was about to hit the
floor the funnel lifted over mine and my neighbor’s houses. The tornado was
accompanied by 1” diameter hail that fell for approximately two minutes and
very frequent and close lightning strikes. After the tornado passed by a
very heavy rain ensued with approximately 0.70” of rain falling in a 10
minute period. My Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station anemometer/wind vane
sensors recorded a wind gust from the west of 67 mph before the 35 foot
steel support mast was on bent over at about 20 degrees from the vertical
plane.

I was involved in professional severe storm chasing and research between
1984-1987 and 1994-1996. I did my chasing across the Great Plains from Texas
in the south to North Dakota in the north, Colorado in the west to Kansas in
the east, also Florida and Georgia. During the eight year period I observed
29 tornadoes on the ground. One was an F-5, ten were F-4's, ten were F-3's
and eight were F-2's. Having said that I was more afraid of the EF0-1
tornado than any of the monsters I saw elsewhere. Maybe it was because it
was moving so fast and right at me?!

As far as damage my house lost 12 shingles on the west side of the roof and
an oak tree branch came through my bathroom window. In the yard all five of
my oak trees and two other kinds of trees suffered considerable damage and
all three steel masts supporting my amateur radio antennas were bent over at
a 50 degree angle from the vertical. Needless to say the antennas were
destroyed!

In the yard I also found many leaves that were shredded by the 1” hail.
Unfortunately I was unable to get any photographs of the damage, as in all
of the excitement I dropped my expensive digital camera on the hard tile
floor and broke it, GGGGRRRR!!!!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Thomas F. Giella

Retired Meteorologist

Lakeland, FL, USA

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
solarcycle24 at tampabay.rr.com

NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.solarcycle24data.org
NZ4O HF/6M Radiowave Propagation Forecast: http://www.solarcycle24.org
NZ4O HF/6M Frequency Radiowave Propagation Email Reflector:
NZ4O Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o1.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data In Graphic & Image Format:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o2.htm
NZ4O Solar Cycle 24 Forecast Discussion & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm
NZ4O 160 Meter Radio Propagation Theory Notes:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o5.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Raw Forecast Data Links:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o6.htm
Harmful Man Induced Climate Change (Global Warming) Refuted:
http://www.globalwarminglie.org