[NZ4O Spaceweather] Global Climate Changes not The Responsibility of Man

ffuhrer at elmore.rr.com ffuhrer at elmore.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 16:41:03 PST 2011

Hi All,
 I've lurked here for almost six months, getting info on propagation. Now that the subject of "Global Climate Change" has come up repeatedly enough, I'll give you my take: Man cannot affect climate change anymore that we could move the Earth out of it's orbit. Al Gore is a incorrect, and I will tell you why. Our Sun is a long period variable star, cooling and warming in cycles that span centuries. The last ice age was a result of the Sun's cooling to a point where the world temperature dropped an average of 11 degrees. Now, the Sun's temperature has risen enough for us to notice it in the weather changes around the world. The oceans are the warmest in recorded history, as is the land. This causes the Earth to release CO2, and methane and other related greenhouse gasses several orders of magnitude higher than it ever has. Destruction of tropical rain forests by climate change, and Man has had an additional effect, but not to the extent that Mister Gore has claimed. Man's contribution to the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere has been estimated to be less than 1% of the total amount the Earth has generated. Another thing; why has the UK and western Europe having freezing weather and record amounts of snow? Check out the Gulf Stream - has it changed any?

 The point I am trying to make is that this change in climate is NATURAL, not man made. We cannot stop or lessen the effect of the Sun's warming trend. Science and Science Fiction has given us the things we might be able to do in the future, when our level of technology has increased, but for now, all we can do is prepare to "weather the storm". Literally. If you own beach front property anywhere, perhaps in ten or twenty years you sell it, and let somebody else take the loss.

 Many proposals have been put forward, such as erecting a shield between the Earth and Sun at a Lagrange point (not possible now that the Government has canceled NASA's new replacement for the Shuttle), throwing pure carbon into the Sun's photosphere to slow the Sun's fusion process (risky, how MUCH carbon, and how do we get it there?), causing a volcanic eruption to throw dust into the upper atmosphere to block the Sun's heat (more practical with today's technology, but in whose backyard do we do this?), or repairing the ozone layer and intensifying it (nobody knows how to fight the Earth's natural processes enough to make this very practical).

 So what do we do about the biggest object in our solar system? "Necessity is the mother of invention", and that old saw works. Scientists in our future may be able to solve the problem, given enough incentive, and of course, money. Hopefully we can harden our power grid enough to not lose it and plunge our civilization back 100 years. CME's are very bad news, and we will see more of them - guaranteed. Let's pray that the Sun does not throw one directly at us. In any case, our world is going to see changes that no one in living memory has ever seen.

Best Regards,
Fred - W4FJF.
--

A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, write a sonnet, plan an invasion, butcher a cow, conn a ship, design a building, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze problems, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
 quoted from R.A.H. 1973.