[W4HM Spaceweather] Russian Meteor Update

Thomas F Giella W4HM w4hm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 06:11:12 EST 2013

>From NASA.

RUSSIAN METEOR UPDATE: On Friday, February 15th at 9:30 am local time in
Russia, a small asteroid struck the atmosphere over the city of Chelyabinsk
and exploded. According to reports from news organizations and Russian
authorit...ies, as many as 1000 people received minor injuries from the
shock wave. This is the most energetic recorded meteor strike since the
Tunguska impact of 1908.

Researchers have conducted a preliminary analysis of the event. "Here is
what we know so far," says Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment
Office. "The asteroid was about 15 meters in diameter and weighed
approximately 7000 metric tons. It struck Earth's atmosphere at 40,000 mph
(18 km/s) and broke apart about 12 to 15 miles (20 to 25 km) above Earth's
surface. The energy of the resulting explosion was in the vicinity of 300
kilotons of TNT."

"A shock wave propagated down and struck the city below, causing large
numbers of windows to break, some walls to collapse, and minor damage
throughout the city," he continued. "When you hear about injuries, those are
undoubtedly due to the effects of the shock wave, not due to fragments
striking the ground. There are undoubtedly fragments on the ground, but as
of this time we know of no recovered fragments that we can verify."

Videos of the event may be found here and here. In many of the videos you
can hear the sound of windows shattering as the meteor's loud shock wave
reaches the ground. Onlookers cry out in Russian as alarms and sirens sound
in the background. This pair of wide-angle gif animations is also worth
watchin.

It is natural to wonder if this event has any connection to today's
record-setting flyby of asteroid 2012 DA14. Paul Chodas of the Near Earth
Object Program at JPL says no. "The Russian fireball is not related to 2012
DA14 in any way. It's an incredible coincidence that we have had these two
rare events in one day."

http://say26.com/meteorite-in-russia-all-videos-in-one-place

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella W4HM
Lakeland, FL, USA
w4hm at tampabay.rr.com

W4HM Amateur Radio & SWL Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.com
W4HM Daily MF/HF/6M Radio Wave Propagation Forecast Subscription Service:
http://www.solarcycle24.org
Lakeland, FL Daily Climatological Weather Data Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o22.htm