Are Ten-tecs really so good

Paul R. Valko prvalko@Oakland.edu
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:47:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, William JOHNSON wrote:

> Performance-wise I get an S-9+ pulsing tone on 80
> and 20 that comes from the digital clock I think.
> Anyway I have sent it back to Tenn. and they say it is
> normal and unfixable.

I have a Model 544 and I have no S9 pulsing noise on either band.  I *DO*
know that the display was re-engineered at least 3 times in its life.
I am not sure why.

Don't try to compare a 544 and it's beautifully layed out, easy to
work on, solid state, modular design against any of it Japanese
contemporaries!  The TS-520 and 820 were still using tubes in 1977
fercryinoutloud.  The IC-701 was one of the worse radios ever produced
(toss in the stort-lived TS-180, too), and Yaesu was happy making FT-101's
for the folks on ten and a half meters.

I suppose everyone had a dog radio, though... Ever use a Delta? :-)

I love TenTec stuff but I also own an FT-900at.  So I'm not too bigoted.

73 =paul= w8kc  :-)

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html