OMNI VI MODS ANYONE? QUIRKS?

Arthur R Bernstein n2ka@juno.com
Fri, 06 Dec 1996 00:38:34 EST

I've just discovered this TenTec reflector or whatever it's called. Very
interesting
I've been the proud owner of an OMNI VI for about 2 years and think it's
a real nice machine. Picked it up used from a gentleman who had it one
year and frankly thought the DSP did more than it does.

Are there any useful mods out there that can be incorporated into this
already fine radio?

One thing that I feel TT goofed on is the use of  the manual notch. It
appears to be an audio notch, an IF notch would've been nicer. Also in
the OMNI V they had an audio peaking filter as well as more versatility
in shaping received audio. This is lacking in the VI. Was wondering if
there was a way to perhaps modify the notch into a peak/notch
control-perhaps replacing the control with a push in for notch/pull out
for peaki and change some internal circuitry?? I also notice that
recieved frequencies don't always correspond to what's on packet cluster
spots, have hard time zero beating WWV to check exactly. Seems USB and
LSB are slightly different. Any ideas?

Another quirk, and this is really nitpicking, in CW if I leave the VOX
light on I can hear a faint high pitched signal in the background that
can mix with weak signals. The same thing seems to happen with some of
the other push buttons, pushing 2 simultaneously stops the sound-weird?

Anyone have the strong birdie around 21.329-330? Mine measures around
s-4. Know any way to eliminate?

Any improvements to noise blanker?

Still love the radio. Gave up a 1 month old FT-990 for this one. Ran a
Drake TR-7 for
12 years before that.
Keep those ideas and opinions coming.

Any easy way to check and align S meter?

Regards to all,

Art, N2KA..

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html