Ten Tec design philosophy.

Steve Ellington n4lq@iglou.com
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:35:58 -0400 (EDT)

Having serviced several Tempo 2020's I can say that I prefer the TT method
better. The Temp had it's boards plugged into edge card connectors. After
several years, the connectors developed oxidation and required cleaning
then later on, crack developed in the plastic connectors due to stress I
suppose. Replacing those connectors was quite an experience. Those plug in
boards remind me of the Motorola Quasar (works in a drawer). The concept
was fine for the first few years but eventually those big connectors gave
technicians fits.

The Kenwood TS-940 had umpteen little connectors like the TT. Now I
understand the FT-990 uses plug in cards. You cant get to them to measure
voltages unless you have a card extender which few of us have.

No. I'm willing to sacrifice a little inefficiency in space consumption to
gain ease of access. Somehow this Omni 6 has gobbs of extra space in it in
spite of individual connectors.

Steve Ellington N4LQ@IGLOU.COM  Louisville, Ky