[TenTec] Amplifier solution

James C. Owen, III owen@piper.eeel.nist.gov
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:59:43 -0500 (EST)

In message Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:02:03 -0400,
  Steve Ellington <n4lq@iglou.com>  writes:

> I bought one of those CB amplifiers that are so popular. Yes, these
> things are everywhere! All you gotta do is put a wtb: on rec.radio.cb

> Mine is made by Palomar and is called the tx-150. It has an rf sensitive
> changeover
>
> These amps are usually advertised as covering all bands 80 through 10
> meters and in fact they do. There are no tuned circuits to worry with.
> Whatever harmonics you generate will be sent to the antenna.
  In the case of 40 meters, If you stay below 7050, no one
> would notice you on 20 meters anyway.
>

> There is absolutely nothing illegal about buying these and using them on
> the ham bands.

I'm afraid that I must disagree with you Steve if I read the regulations
correctly. I don't have all the regulations in front of me so I must go on
what I have. The rules state that ANY external RF Power Amplifier for use in
the amateur must meet type acceptance. UNLESS it was manufactured before
April 28, 1978, and has been issued a marketing waiver by the FCC, or the
amplifier was purchased before April 28, 1978, by an amateur operator for
use at THAT amateur operator's station. Note: none of the amplifiers like
the Palomar that were sold mainly for CB were EVER issued a waiver, and it's
unlikely many were sold to an amateur.
I also think it's likely that the 2nd Harmonic of 40M WILL be heard on 20M
since there is no LP filters in the amp.
I also think that it's unlikely that the FCC will cite you for this but I
still believe that it MAY BE illegal.
73 Jim K4CGY